Saturday, August 27, 2005

The past few days have been everything I love about campus ministry.

On Wednesday and Thursday night, we hosted 2 new grad students from China. Both of them were impressed by my slight knowledge of their language, and both are open to the notion of Christianity. One of them, Shu Ping, appears to be actively seeking God. He told me that he knows many people who have accepted Christ in China... looks like the rumors are true (and yes, Jon, you will like this article even though it is in the 'Torygraph'.

I also spent quite a while listening to a student pour out his heart before me. Trying to help folks like him in the middle of life's storms is a major reason I love this.

As I mentioned earlier, we had a late night on Tuesday with around 40 students at our house. Last night, we hosted a 'Napoleon Dynamite' party at the student center which was a hit.

But the important events began today. This morning we had our annual 'Great Giveaway' where we give furniture and household items away to international students. All of these items were donated by local Christians (beds, couches, TVs, computers, dishes, etc.) and I know that these people, many from Asia and Africa, needed these things more than most of us did. How much useful stuff do we keep in our attics and basements collecting dust when someone in need could use them?

Tonight we have our big RFC Family Reunion where we reunite and lay out our plans for the semester. Alot of what we will be able to accomplish this semester will depend on what we plan and pray for tonight.

Tomorrow is a big student day at church... full of stuff.

And then classes start on Monday and 23,000 students will light on this place. More on that later...

If you want to read an informative, well-written, and troubling article in the Smithsonian Magazine on the current slave trade in Niger, click here (pdf document).

3 Comments:

Blogger Mommy of Boys said...

Yes, welcome back to campus ministry...it's a wild ride, but it's great. Glad that you're liking your new home. We can't wait to come visit you guys. And you'll have to come to T-town and visit us in our new house...we move in at the end of September.

KCC

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See what a letter I have written to you with my own hand.--Milan

10:45 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks for the comment Milan. And good try at the translation. It actually means "See what large letters I write to you with my own machine," which is a parody of Galatians 6:11 - "See what large letters I write to you with my own hand".

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home